Thursday, December 21, 2006

Dear Mr Howard

Dear Mr Howard,

I have recently become engaged and have secured for myself the services of a celebrant. She has advised me and my betrothed of the legal requirements for our marriage ceremony, which you've recently inserted into the Marriage Act. I refer to the following required excerpts:

(To be spoken by the celebrant): "Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.

Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life."

Now, I am not wildly excited by the homophobia we're required to advertise and endorse on one of the most special days of our lives, but I know that you won't change it. So I am not going to ask.

However, can you please review the following vow, which I'm told we're not allowed to reword in any way:

"I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, [name], take thee, [name], to be my lawful wedded wife/husband."

The persons here present? You really didn't consider the practicalities of having to say that at a wedding ceremony when you're nervous, did you? Or of trying to integrate it with romantic avowals of love and friendship?

If you could have the law changed by October next year to make that phrase more user friendly, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Cass

Comments:
Tee Hee - a fine riposte. Yes - I remember hearing that for the first time recently and thinking 'what the fuck?'

He may as well have included words along the lines of 'Furthermore, being gay is a moral failing and you can be cured. Please report to one of our re-education centres shortly.'
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?