Thursday, September 14, 2006

Things That Make You Go Hmm...

I don’t know if it’s something about being a geek and hanging out with geeks (roleplaying clubs, etc), but it occurred to me today again, as it has in the past, that I associate with some fairly unusual types of people – at least as far as societal norms go.

The reason I thought of it is that in the past month or so a work colleague has decided that he wants to be a she. After a bit of time off, she’s started coming into work in women’s clothes. My other colleagues here got very excitable today (imagine giggling schoolgirl reaction laced with embarrassment) when I told them after a phone call that the new-she (pardon the expression) was going to come over to our area to ask a question of one of them.

I am a bit blasé about the whole thing. This is the fourth ex-guy that I now know or at least know of, either via work or via said geek connections. I also know quite a large number of gay people (almost all via the geek connection – I am sure there are some around work but they haven’t announced it to the world if they are. Nor should they have to because it shouldn’t be relevant). I do remember, when I was a teenager, having a crush on a guy who turned out later to be gay. Fortunately by the time I found out he was gay, I didn’t have a crush on him anymore, or I might’ve been a bit upset about the whole thing.

Anyway, I admire the tremendous courage of men who decide that they should’ve been born a woman, as well as people who admit publicly that they are gay. I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it would be to actually come out of the closet (or purchase new contents for their closet!) and front up to people they used to know as a man, now wearing women’s clothes and using a different name. Especially given that when they do that they generally (I believe) haven’t even started the process of medically changing sex, so they will still look and sound like a man to one extent or another – meaning that they are going to stand out even if you just met them as a woman.

But at least one of the transgender women I know has the most gorgeous taste in clothes - so she was clearly meant to be a woman all along! ;)

Comments:
They sure as hell don't do it on a whim that's for sure.

Poor bastards.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?