Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Definition of Helplessness...

… is a visually impaired person whose glasses get broken.

It's a truism from horror movies and "real world" fantasy novels the world over, and on the weekend I demonstrated that it was true when my glasses frame fell apart in my hands as I was cleaning the lenses.

I wasn't being particularly rough with the glasses; this is the second time those particular frames have broken on me (the first time they were replaced under warranty), and they are the first frames I've ever had break in my life. Sure, I've had lenses scratched in the playground when bullies stomp on my glasses, but I've never had them snap before.

Of course, this happened just as the shops closed on Saturday afternoon, and none of the optometrists or glasses stores are open on a Sunday. This meant two days of headaches because I was alternating between trying to see inside at night with prescription sunglasses on (big eyestrain) and trying to wear a really old pair of glasses I had whose script was so bad that I couldn't see clearly more than a foot in front of my head (also big eyestrain).

Fortunately yesterday an optometrist was able to solder the frame back together as a temporary fix, and I've ordered a new pair of frames that hopefully won't be as badly manufactured/designed/whatever as this pair is.

The whole experience was very traumatic. I will never laugh at comedy skits relating to people who can't see properly ever again. :(

Comments:
I hate the 30 minute wait between new lenses going in and stumbling blind around the mall let alone 2 days of it.

How freakin' irritating...
 
Yeah.

I got my new glasses yesterday. The script is slightly different than what was in my old pair, so I am going around bug-eyed staring at everything! 8)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?