Friday, June 09, 2006

Shining Upon Man

I was looking at one of my favourite name site the other day and on impulse I looked up my own name...

CASSANDRA
Gender: Feminine
Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized)
Pronounced: ka-SAN-dra
From the Greek Κασσανδρα (Kassandra), which possibly meant "shining upon man", derived from κεκασμαι (kekasmai) "to shine" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros)). In Greek myth Cassandra was a Trojan princess, the daughter of Priam and Hecuba. She was given the gift of prophecy by Apollo, but when she spurned his advances he cursed her so nobody would believe her prophecies.


Which just goes to show that hell doth have fury like a woman scorned - the Ancient Greek gods were far worse!

I found it interesting because most name definition sites definte Cassandra as a "prophetess of doom" or something similar, which is of course not what it means but what it is associated with mythologically...

Comments:
Mikey doesn't exist.

Bad site, bad ! (hits it with a rolled up newspaper)
 
I'd believe your prophecies.

Especially ones that involved your 'what will happen to me' statements offered just as I was about to compare my creamy lemon sauce to an obvious bodily fluid.
 
Yes.

Those are 100% accurate.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?