Thursday, December 08, 2005

Christmas Musings

M. and I got most of our Christmas shopping done last weekend, thank goodness. We also put up the dinky little Christmas tree we bought last month. It's a fibre optic one and it changes colours and makes cool patterns on the wall. (I've never bothered with a tree in this house before - didn't seem to be any point when it was just me.)

I wonder how long it'll be before the puppy decides that the tree is just another chew toy?

I don't consider myself a Christian but I still quite enjoy Christmas because it's fun to get together with family and friends, stuff ourselves with unseasonably hot food, laze around in the sun, and laugh at the shopping mall Santas as they sit in front of overworked electric fans in their winter gear.

Gotta love an Aussie Christmas!

Anyway, we also watched "The Polar Express" on Sunday, which M. bought for me last month. I'd never seen it before, and it was ok (though "Shrek" and "Final Fantasy" have spoiled me - I can't see half-animated faces anymore and think they look anything other than scary!) and it got me to thinking about the whole Santa thing.

I don't really remember discovering Santa wasn't real myself, but I do remember telling my sister. I had found a photo in the album mum and dad drinking the milk (and scotch - we left scotch out for Santa too. No wonder he was so jolly in the pictures!) and eating the cookies we left out for him.

That was mean of me, I guess, though I saw it more as a kindness at the time. And it probably wasn't very smart of my parents to leave that sort of evidence lying around!

What about you? Did you believe in Santa? When did you stop believing in him (if you did)? Do you remember>

Comments:
My dad was a photographer and used to do the santa photos- plus my younger brother and I usually knew the 'santa -but we still put out our stockings. One year my parents thought it would be a great joke if they put a bundle of sticks in the stockings and told us in the morning that 'santa' obviously knew we'd been bad that year (they brought out the goodies afterwards- they didn't want a riot). Probably just as well we didn't really believe in santa or we'd have been crushed :P
 
You bitch !

When did I know??? Try 33 !!!

Just yanking.

I think it was all over red rover at 10. I remember getting yelled at by a kindagarden teacher (went sent there for punishment)for telling the kids that I had asked my parents for Poleconomy for Xmas (instead of Santa).

Nobs.

That stick thing is cruel.

Our parents, being English people fromt he war years as kids, shoved apples and oranges in our rugby socks. Because to them fresh fruit was something they got as a special treat. To us it was just another obstacle in our quest for sugar and toys.
 
You got caned for being honest?! Wow, that's harsh!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?