Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Previously Postponed Anniversary Post

As you may already know if you read my previous post, today is mine and M's one year anniversary. Sort of.

Like a lot of adult relationships, which don't begin with a "will you go out with me" delivered by note or friend messenger, we don't actually have an "official" start date to our relationship. But we figured it must have been some time in November last year. Because at the time he still lived in Sydney, we saw each other on two or three occasions in November, the latest of which was Technohorror's birthday.

So we rather arbitrarily picked that date. M figures that so long as Technohorror keeps sending out birthday party emails and stuff, he can't forget our anniversary either! (Hmm.)

He ordered me the "Lost" Season 1 DVD boxed set (which doesn't come out till next week), and I got him "Ninja Scroll" on DVD (the TV series). I had also bought him the "Ravenloft" 3.5 players handbook but after I did he went and ordered a boxed set that had it and a bunch of other books off MilSims for cheaper than I had bought it at Logical Choice. I can't really blame him (and I was able to take the other one back) but that was a little bit disappointing.

We went over to Technohorror's place this morning for the Breakfast of Champions, and tonight we're going to go out somewhere for dinner. We haven't decided where yet, but so long as it isn't the local football club bistro (or a drive thru) I am ok with it. :P

It's funny how a year can simultaneously go so fast and at the seem time feel like a lot longer. He only moved down here in March, and I can't imagine life without him.

I'd better go before I get all sappy... :D

But I wanted to post something he had up on his LiveJournal a while back. I know that some of you have read it already, but some others that read this have not, and it's cool enough that I think it bears repeating. It's sort of long but it makes me smile ... so deal!

My name is Matt, and I am your father. I know you're not born yet. I'm not even sure who your mother will be. But I wanted to tell you that you can not necessarily do anything if you just set you mind to it. That's a load of crap.

Someone once told me that I could do anything if I set my mind to it and I spent that entire Chirstmas holiday period back at school trying to make my brother's head explode. I've got much more practical advice for you: if you don't actually pursue your dreams instead of just dreaming them, you'll end up working at K-Mart. In the pet food aisle. At night. On weekends.

You are not entitled to success. You are not entitled to happiness. You are not entitled to have a better life than your parents. You are not entitled to anything beyond breathing. And even that, you kind of owe me for.

You will have access to video games and DVDs and the internet and action figures, but I don't have to buy any of them for you. I probably will, but only if you're not a terrible person. If you're one of the shopping centre kids who shrieks that you're not loved because your parents don't buy you every last TickleMeSpongeBobWiggleRanger, you will be reminded that I may put you up for adoption at any time and start over.

You will have access to a free primary and high school education, but I don't have to pay for you to go to Uni. I probably will, but you can help with good marks and extra-curricular activities and the loans you take out based on your future earning potential. If you get Ds through high school and wonder why you ended up paying your own way through Uni or TAFE, it's because your future earning potential is $8 an hour. And that's only because the minimum wage will probably go up by then.

You will have access to unlimited information about politics and world history. And I will help you interpret it. But if you choose to form your opinion of your country's socioeconomic climate based on five minutes of Video Hits, you will end up electing politicians that only care whether or not you buy what's being advertised during the next commercial break. If you're even smart enough to vote.

Remember that you are lucky to be born in an era when you have more to play with than a rock and a leaf. Remember that you are lucky to be born into a country that sends you to school instead of to work. Remember that you are lucky to be born into a mindset in which you will not be killed because of your political views. In most parts anyway.

Uni will not be waiting for you when you finish high school. A job will not be waiting for you when you finish Uni. And a old age pension will certainly not be waiting for you when you retire. That last one kind of stings, doesn't it?

The phrase "you can do anything if you set your mind to it" is misleading, because you also have to put in the work. Most people who feel they are entitled to something are entitled to nothing, twice. No one is entitled to anything. Also, those who base their lives on a sense of entitlement are tools. And no one wants to give anything to a tool.

I will prevent you from watching inappropriate television so you can not blame your temper on anything but being human. I will ground you so you learn that listening to appropriate authority is the fastest way to get what you want. I will even hit you once - but only so a stranger doesn't hit you much harder.

I will not get you a mobile phone when you turn twelve. I will not get you a new wardrobe when you turn fourteen. I will not get you a car when you turn seventeen. What I will get you is a personality, forged by years of actually having to put work in to achieve results. You will thank me when you're old enough to know what I've done for you. When you are old enough, your spoiled friends will still be whining that they have tons of angst. And they'll do it over their mobile phones during the drive home from clothes shopping.

I will, however, love and support you in all your efforts, as long as they are efforts. You will be great kids. I know that because I will raise you to be. I'm going to set my mind to it, but I will also put in the work. That's how you get things done. And If you disagree with me, there's a cleanup in aisle four.

Oh, and if you get the chance, tell your mother I say hi. I bet she's really hot.

Comments:
Thanks! :)
 
That was neato.

No mention of the flying cars of course. That will be in our immediate future.

Come on artificial gravity !
 
Mikey I should ahve guessed that you would pick out the flying cars - since that was someting you wrote in Jessica's birth fax.

BTW I pit that piecve of gold on my LJ http://www.livejournal.com/users/inkling_kitty/2005/11/17/
 
I shamelessly ripped it from an episode of Mad About You...
 
I would have thought that the logical anniversary for an 'adult' relationship would be when it became... well... adult (ahem).

I do like Matt's little piece, very cool indeed. I reckon that last little bit about "say hi to your mum" makes you blush ;)
 
I would have thought that the logical anniversary for an 'adult' relationship would be when it became... well... adult (ahem).

Yes, that would seem logical...

I do like Matt's little piece, very cool indeed. I reckon that last little bit about "say hi to your mum" makes you blush ;)

Either blush or worry that some hot chick is going to come along and steal him off me!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?