Thursday, October 27, 2005

Pump Up the Volume

Mikey was asking about people's favourite movies, after he and TechnoHorror got to talking about "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

I won't talk about that particular flick for fear of having mobs of 80s generation people come after me with pitchforks, but it got me thinking about the movie that moved me the most as a teen - "Pump Up The Volume".

This movie stars Christian Slater as a high school (year 12?) student in a new town. He has no friends there and is painfully shy, so he gets out all his angst and frustration using the amatuer radio set that his parents bought him. Thus "Happy Harry Hardon" is born.

This film blew me away. It's all about trying to survive as a teenager - dealing with bullies, sexuality, suicide, teen pregnancy; it's all in there. And I think that the best thing about the movie is that it doesn't end with a soppy, happy ending where every thing is fixed (though the major plot is resolved) ... because you can't fix those things.

If you haven't seen it, you should.

As an aside, I remember that not too long after I'd seen the movie I had my wisdom teeth out. This required a general anaesthetic, and I distinctly recall waking up in first stage recovery with both poems from the movie by the character known as the "Eat Me Beat Me Lady" in my head. Like, I'd somehow memorised or recalled the whole things while I was out.

Bizarre.

Eat Me Beat Me Lady Poem I

"Come in.
Every night you enter me like a criminal.
You break into my brain, but you're no ordinary criminal.
You put your feet up, you pop a Pepsi.
You start to party; you turn up my stereo.
Songs I've never heard, but I move anyway.
You get me crazy, I say 'Do it!'
I don't care what, just do it!
Jam me, jack me, push me, pull me - talk hard!"

Eat Me Beat Me Lady Poem II

"You're the voice crying out in the wilderness,
You're the voice that makes my brain burn and my guts go gooey.
Yeah, you gut me.
My insides spill on your altar and tell the future.
My steaming, gleaming guts spell out your nature.
I know you; not your name, but your game.
I know the true you.
Come to me or I'll come to you."

Comments:
Do love that film too. Honest!

Sidenote, there is more nudity in "Pump Up the Volume" than in "Ferris Beuller's Day Off". This is because there is NO nudity in Ferris. Go figure!

Speaking of movies, don't see "Doom". It sucked really really lots.
 
I do remember being awfully shocked when Nora took her shirt off and WASN'T WEARING A BRA!
 
You know I love this one too....

Mmmmmmm Christian Slater

At my old work one of the Pods and I had a fake patient who we would book in when he did not want a spot booked- that patient was Charlie Farley- the inspiration was from this film- and the Charles U Farley he has the PO box under.
 
Yeah, I know you do... :)
 
I remember being rather more excited about the Nora Sans Bra experience.

A truely inspiring movie. SPOILER













I loved the ending with the various montages of teen voices taking to pirate airwaves. The soundtrack was a key part of my collection till some prick stole it.
 
My favourite bit I think is the end speech he does. I was going to post it in my blog but didn't because of its spoileriffic value.
 
12 years late, but needed the poems. The movie is still great. Thanks! (Who didn't love the no bra Nora?)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?