Friday, October 07, 2005

Photomanipulator

For those of you that don't know, I am a bit of a Photoshop addict. I spend maybe 20 hours a week on Photoshop a week, taking bits of pictures and putting them together with other pictures to make whole new pictures. :)

That's the reason I wanted to go to Floriade and went so mad with the photos. It is much easier, from a copyright and permissions point of view, to make photomanipulations using either free photos or photos that you own in the first place. And for some bizarre reason, I tend to do lots of manipulations with a strong childlike fantasy element. Even though I have a strong contempt for adults that decorate their houses in pictures of fairies and princesses and unicorns, that (the fairies at least) is mostly what I make! I know it's hypocritical, but there it is...

For example, here's a pic I did using one of the Floriade photos that I took last weekend:

(Larger image here)

The reason that I am so conscientious about copyright is that I actually bought myself a print account at deviantART and am trying to sell my art. So far I hae sold one picture (not counting the ones I bought at cost as gifts) for a total profit of $7. Woo, go me! I'll be paying off the mortgage in no time...

Uh huh.

Comments:
First sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man. Bet you got a buzz out of that.

Awesome pic. Where did the faerie come from? Is that a copyright image too? Or a cass made fairy from scratch.

Heh - unicorn pictures. As long as your fairies are sometimes evil, and they avoid pastels or pinks then they're ok by me.
 
The wings are from www.sxc.hu, which is a site that has free to use stock. The girl is a stock owner on deviantART. She lets people make prints of her stock on the condition that they send her a copy. That's what I meant about the whole buying prints for people as gifts thing. :)
 
PS I've never done a picture of a unicorn. I've done a pegasus and a gryphon and a hippogryph, but not a unicorn. I did consider it once but couldn't find a pic of a horse that I'd have wanted to use.
 
Ah so its 100% legit. Even better. I have sold maybe three things in my life to nerd mags. But the high I got from that was worth far more than the money.

In fact I spent the money from the first sale framing a copy of the cheque they sent me. How lame is that?

Hippogryph eh? That'd I'd like to see.
 
Yup. I wouldn't want to get sued because I made $7 off someone else's work without permission. Really really not worth it!

The hippogryph is here. The forelegs were far and away the hardest part!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?