Friday, October 21, 2005

Carrier Pigeons

Anyone who's turned on the news at all today probably knows that three pigeons in Melbourne that were imported from Canada tested positive to bird flu antibodies.

Not the actual flu, just the antibodies...

I feel sorry for the pigeons. They've had a flu, or been exposed to one, and gotten over it (little feathery battlers, they are). Just when they think that they have triumphed over adversity, they're shipped to Australia and then "euthanased".

Apparently there are 15 types of bird flu, and only one of them is a possible threat to humans. I note that the media has yet to say which type of flu these poor pigeons had antibodies for. It's much more fun to scare people!

Comments:
I believe those pigeons were actually exported for eating purposes anyway. So at least they get furnaced instead of eaten.

I think. I could be wrong.
 
I heard them described as "racing pigeons".
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?