Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Family Member?


Ever since my boyfriend M. moved in with me in March, he's been asking if we could get a puppy. I already have two pets, a little old lady cat named Melody (aka Smelly or Melly), and a Keeshond dog named Tasha (aka Pie, Stink, or Stinky Head) - that's her, pictured. I thought that two were enough; I said no more pets till Melody shuffled off this mortal coil.

Just recently I changed my mind. I think that this is because two very good friends have just had a baby, and I suddenly have the urge for something small and cute in the house. And puppies have the advantage of being able to be locked outside when they are annoying. I won't even get sent to jail for it!

So we've started looking at dog breeds; M. really wants a Schipperke. He had a half breed Skippy (as he calls them) a few years ago and loves them to death. For myself, I had some reservations at first, mostly revolving around the fact that the breed standard comes with a docked tail, and I like my doggies to be able to waggle at me when they are happy. But apparently the breed standard has just been changed; no more mutilation of helpless puppies. So that's a plus.

I've been doing some research on the breed, and it sounds like one would fit in fine into our house. They apparently have strong personalities, which is a must - a timid dog would have a nervous breakdown inside five minutes at our place! Most of the listed negatives of the breed are the same as for the Keeshonden, and I already know I can deal with one of those.

The other advantage of us getting a Schipperke is that it will go with the Keeshond in the sense that I already have one dog that, when I get asked what breed she is and answer, the response is always (always!) "A what?!" If we get a Schipperke then that will go quite nicely.

Both dog breeds were bred to guard barges and river boats, one in Holland and the other in Belgium. I wonder if I have a subconscious urge to pilot some sort of waterborne vessel and am equipping myself with pets appropriately? Hmm.

Anyway, we're thinking of getting one around Christmas, when I have lots of time off work. The only problem I can forsee is that my sister, who works at the RSPCA, may well kill me if she finds out I got a dog anywhere else... I am hoping that we can fend her off with the "whattacutewiddlepuppy!" reaction.

Oh, and I suppose we'll have to think of a new odour-related nickname for the poor wee beastie.

Comments:
Schipperke - new, from Calvin Klein

Cute dawg man. And I like the whole waterborne vessel theme you have going for your furry ones.

As long as of course you don't get a penchant for wearing odd hats, windmills, wooden footwear, and feel the need to digitally repair any leaking dikes you come across.

You could of course use Tasha. She looks very absorbent.
 
I've digitally repaired a boat before, for a picture; does that count?! (It's here: http://www.deviantart.com/view/19212823/ )

If so, I'm going to be trying to figure out how to wear a windmill any second now..! :(

And yes, Tasha is absorbent. When it rains we find half of what ought to be in the water catchment on our tiles after she races in the door!
 
Ok, that be some sort of voyage of the feline damned. Creepy, yet intriguing.

Ewww wet dog ! Not even Schipperke - new, from Calvin Klein will get that smell out !
 
In fact, Schipperke probably smells just as bad...
 
Cass appears to be good at all things digital... or so I've heard...

But seriously, Cass - have you considered using HTML to build your links into actual links?
 
Uuuuum. Considered, but I don't know how yet. Guess I better click on that link you posted.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?